CN Rail - Equipment Operator- Seasonal Vacation Relief
CN - Search and find a job in the rail industry in Canada and the US
Auto req ID7831BR
Posting titleEquipment Operator- Seasonal Vacation Relief (May-September 2017)
We are currently seeking candidates who are working towards obtaining a Business related degree to fulfill the roles of Intermodal helper for the summer of 2017. Candidates with a focus area of Logistics would benefit from acquiring ground level, practical experience and exposure within a railway/transportation company.
· Setting up rail cars, assisting heavy equipment operators in loading/unloading containers and emptying chassis/trailers to and from rail cars.
· Shunting inbound and outbound loads to and from railcars for inbound/outbound trains.
· Loading from carters to rail cars.
· Connecting and disconnecting cables gensets (portable fossil-fuel powered generators).
· Placing, removing and locking/unlocking container connectors.
· Ensuring safe container/trailer placement on rail cars.
· Driving pick-up and hitch trucks, operating yard shunt tractors, forklifts and small cranes.
· Performing various tasks to ensure proper placement and set-up of containers and train cars.
· Interpreting and completing paperwork associated with the loading/unloading of railcars and trailers.
· Available to work on an on-call basis, 24 hours a day with a maximum of 2 hours notice.
· Ability to work regular shifts, including nights, weekends, holidays, and occasional overtime.
· Ability to work outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions, around and with heavy equipment, and exposure to dust, pollen, noise and vibrations.
· Frequent bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, performing overhead work, lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds (22 kg) and occasionally up to 70 pounds (32 kg).
· Frequent climbing/balancing, grasping and working at heights of 4-8 feet (1-2 meters) off the ground and elevations.
The ideal candidate profile:
Working towards a Business related degree
Ability to work autonomously and adapt to different situations.
· Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others.
· Good verbal, reading comprehension and writing skills.
· Constantly alert and always prepared for unusual conditions or circumstances.
· Conform to safety procedures and maintain a high level of safety awareness in the work environment.
· Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and client satisfaction.
· Basic computer skills.