Student Parent Support Worker (SPSW)
Pathways to Education Program
Salary: 20.51/hour (Firm) Closing Date: June 18th, 2016 Start Date: August 30, 2016
Hours of work: 37.5 hours/week. Monday to Friday. Minimum 1 evening per week.
Pathways to Education plays an important role in developing confidence and building resiliency within young people in the Spryfield area. Pathways develops the community by lowering the high school dropout rate and increasing post-secondary education access among disadvantaged youth through academic, leadership, financial, and social supports.
● Relevant combination of experience and University (preferred) education in Education, Community Development or Social Sciences
● Experience working with diverse populations of youth, one-on-one and in groups
● Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills, written and presentation skills
● Exceptional verbal communication skills and able to thoughtfully and effectively communicate with staff, volunteers and the public
● At least 3 years experience facilitating groups of youth
● Proficient in Computer use including Microsoft Office and comfortable working with databases
● Ability to set priorities, manage time and workloads and work in a team setting
● Knowledge of community and social service resources that support youth and families is an asset
● Maintain positive and supportive relationships with students and families in grade 9
● Understand the educational strengths and challenges faced by participants
● Refer individual students and their parents/guardians to other agencies when appropriate.
● Support and supervise volunteers during programming
● Help organize and develop any needed resources and handouts for programs
● Oversee student academic success through meetings with students, teachers and parents
● Respond to incidents or crisis and build youth capacity to advocate for themselves and their peers
● Facilitate grade 9 academic support sessions and leadership and social learning modules
● Facilitate health curriculum sessions with grade 9 students
Chebucto Connections is committed to building a diverse staff team and engages in proactive employment practices to increase representation from our diverse communities. We strongly encourage applications and self-identification from minority candidates.
Please mail application to: 531 Herring Cove Rd. Halifax NS B3R 1X3. No emailed applications please.
Your resume should identify how you fit the above qualifications. Your cover letter should include your key strengths, philosophy on working with youth, personal work ethic, workplace expectations and why you want the position.
ONLY CANDIDATES SELECTED FOR AND INTERVIEW WILL BE CONTACTED.