Since 1987, Phoenix has been dedicated to supporting youth and contributing to a vibrant community. Phoenix’s ten locations in Halifax, N.S. provide a continuum of care for youth aged 11-24 and their families. Our team of caring professionals recognizes that each person who comes to us has individual needs as well as strengths. People are the leaders in their own lives; Phoenix is a leader in supporting them. Phoenix serves hundreds of youth who collectively offer great diversity to the organization. To better serve the youth we aim to reflect their diversity in our staff contingent. To learn more about Phoenix visit our website: www.phoenixyouth.ca.
Please note that hiring for this position is pending approval of funding from Canada Summer Jobs.
Position: Events Assistant (summer student position), Fund Development
Eligibility: To meet Canada Summer Jobs’ funding requirements applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- Have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year with the intention to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have refugee protection status under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act;
- Be legally entitled to work in Nova Scotia.
* Foreign students are not eligible.
Status: 40 hours per week from May 9, 2016 – August 26, 2016
Hourly Wage: $14.75
Hours of Work: The hours of work will generally fall during Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., with occasional evening and weekend work.
Screening Requirements: This position is subject to a criminal record check, vulnerable sector search, a child abuse register check and proof of education.
Job Summary: Working with the Events Manager, the Events Assistant will support the Fund Development team in preparing for and executing special events. Phoenix has an ambitious fundraising goal of more than $1M so this position will offer the student excellent experience in revenue generation within the non-profit sector. This position requires attention to detail,
strong organizational skills, professionalism and a desire to provide exceptional guest experience. The incumbent will be immersed in the day-to-day workings of a fundraising environment and will gain excellent experience in business development, and marketing and communications, as it relates to the non-profit sector.
- RSVP management and respond to inquiries;
- Data entry, manage electronic and hard files, complete paperwork;
- Prepare letters, create mail merges and send mass communications (including email);
- Coordinate and attend meetings, and record and distribute minutes;
- Provide event support before, during and after events – assist with set-up and tear-down, run errands, pick up supplies, provide guest care and other tasks as required;
- Support the coordination of volunteers;
- Provide other general office support as required.
Marketing and Communications
- Manage the social media component of events;
- Coordinate event marketing materials and collateral.
- Assist with raffle and auction solicitation, tracking and management;
- Support the volunteer committee with solicitation by providing information packages and follow-up.
- Please refer to the Canada Summer Jobs eligibility requirements above;
- Enrolled in a post-secondary program (university or college) in Business Administration or a related program;
- Exceptional oral and written communication;
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office;
- Very comfortable using social media: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
- Excellent organizational skills and acute attention to detail;
- Strong customer service orientation; energetic and personable; confident and eager to engage with donors, sponsors, volunteers and colleagues.
Please forward a resume and a cover letter (in Word or as a PDF document) with pertinent information about your qualifications by Wednesday, April 6, 2016 to:
Karen Damtoft, Human Resources Manager
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Events Assistant”