WEEKEND WORKER: 32 HOURS PER WEEK, TERM
(ASAP – April 1, 2017)
Since 1987, Phoenix has been dedicated to supporting youth and contributing to a vibrant community. Phoenix’s ten locations in Halifax, N.S. provide a continuum of care for youth aged 11-24 and their families. Our team of caring professionals recognizes that each person who comes to us has individual needs as well as strengths. People are the leaders in their own lives; Phoenix is a leader in supporting them. To learn more about Phoenix visit our website: www.phoenixyouth.ca
Phoenix serves hundreds of youth who collectively offer great diversity to the organization. To better serve the youth we aim to reflect their diversity in our staff contingent.
Phoenix House is a ten-bed long-term residential facility for male and female youth aged 16-24. It offers safe, supportive housing for youth while learning skills for independent living.
Compensation: A competitive salary, comprehensive group insurance plan, Employee and Family Assistance Program, RRSP contribution, three weeks of vacation, in-house trainings.
Hours of Work: Saturday and Sunday 7:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. plus 8 hours on a flexible schedule per week to buy groceries and conduct maintenance checks on our homes.
Location: 2385 Hunter St., Halifax
Reports to: Coordinator, Phoenix Supportive Housing Program
Screening Requirements: This position is subject to a satisfactory criminal record check, vulnerable sector search, child abuse register check and proof of education.
- Work with youth to assist in creating effective case plans that address the issues of those who experience homelessness.
- Supervise and monitor Phoenix House’s weekend activities and ensure that policies, security and safety are maintained.
- Provide support and crisis intervention for youth.
- Assist with engaging youth in life skill development and goal planning opportunities that support independent living.
- Provide a supportive environment that promotes youth empowerment.
- Purchase groceries for the program on a weekly basis.
- Conduct maintenance checks on three homes in our independent living program.
- Contribute to building maintenance to ensure a therapeutic milieu.
- Support program development and ensure that a quality effective and youth-directed program is delivered.
- Complete and maintain all logs, files and records as required and ensure confidentiality is protected.
- Bachelor of Social Work; or other relevant undergraduate degree; or an undergraduate degree and Human Services diploma.
- Registration or Candidacy for Registration, certification or membership of a related professional body (if applicable).
- Experience working in a youth residential setting.
- Demonstrated high level of understanding of youth development and the issues of homelessness.
- Demonstrated exceptional level of interpersonal, communication, youth service and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated skill using anti-oppressive practice (harm reduction, narrative practice, a youth-directed approach and a social justice perspective).
- Knowledge of mental health issues, substance abuse and crisis intervention.
- Comfort and ability to work independently.
- Physical ability to lift light loads, walk up and down stairs, and maintain a fairly active pace.
- Access to a vehicle or must meet the requirements to drive a Phoenix-owned vehicle.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word and Outlook and using the Internet.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community resources and the social service delivery system is an asset.
- Non-violent crisis intervention (CPI), suicide intervention (ASIST), standard first aid or a commitment to secure those requirements within six months of being hired.
TO APPLY * Please note that interviews and hiring may take place during the posting period.
Please forward a resume and a cover letter (in Word or as a PDF document) with pertinent information about your qualifications and whether or not you have access to a vehicle by Friday, March 4, 2016 to:
Leisha Seymour, Coordinator of the Phoenix Supportive Housing Program
email@example.com with the subject line “Weekend Worker”