Julienne's restaurant and catering is currently seeking a professional, experienced chef to work in our downtown commercial catering kitchen, located at Fenwick street.
The chef will help lead the day to day operations in the kitchen and understand offsite catering as well as servicing the onsite meals.
The chef both manages and helps execute food preparation providing both offsite events and the onsite with a wide variety of food to meet the needs of our array of clients.
This position requires a motivated leader who enjoys fast paced environments and has a proven track record.
* Leads the teams on a daily basis including hands-on execution of all banquet functions as well as off site catering contracts.
* Directs food preparation in quality control, taste and presentation
* Promotes teamwork within the kitchen ensuring the effective utilization and productivity of all colleagues and providing hands-on support as required.
* Supports creativity and innovation; maintains a high level of professionalism and quality service in the kitchen.
* Develops and updates menus for food including holiday, special event and promotional
* Ensures a variety of menu items offer local and seasonal specialties
* Manages kitchen organization, staff programs, and promotes a sense of culinary leadership, development and excellence.
* Develops food specifications; reviews recipes to ensure maximum profitability; develops portion control for items and ensures cost guard is in full compliance.
* Ensures that proper sanitation techniques and Occupational Health & Safety Standards are maintained at all times.
* Manages staff recruitment: the training and development of current employees as well as new employees and apprentices.
* Ensures food quality, presentation and consistency is maintained at all times.
* Maintains efficient use of produce, portion controls and stock turnover to ensure food costs are kept in line to established budgets.
* Prepares, recommends and implements departmental budget, monitoring progress of food and labour costs throughout the year
* Ensures departmental standards and company standards are consistently adhered to.
* Attends menu tastings with wedding clients to ensure expectations are met or exceeded.
* Conducts timely Employee Reviews for all culinary employees and stewards.
* Conducts inventory and manages all month end processes.
* Creates and maintains a positive work environment for all employees.
* Red Seal considered an asset, but is not mandatory. Other trade courses would be considered an asset as well.
* Post-secondary education or equivalent in experience, at least 3 years in a culinary supervisory capacity.
* Minimum of 3 years of experience in a catering or hotel banquet kitchen.
* Strong knowledge of all aspects of the kitchen, especially as it applies to offsite catering and hotel settings
* Must be an effective leader, manager, trainer, coach, and administrator.
* Excellent organizational abilities and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
* Creative, innovative with a strong attention to detail.
* Assertive, professional and positive with a proven ability to lead by example in a team environment.
* Excellent interpersonal skills: approachable with good listening skills.
* Skilled and proactive in problem resolution.
* Highly resourceful and innovative, detailed oriented quality conscious, and up-to-date on current food and beverage trends.
* Demonstrates a true passion for food
* Demonstrated ability to energize and motivate a team of culinary staff
To apply please send your resume and references.
This is a full-time, managerial role with daily, hands-on cooking.