School of Trades and Technology
(Two Continuing Full-time Positions)
(Commencing approximately September 1st , 2015)
Strait Area Campus – Port Hawkesbury, NS
Competition No. 2015-201
Nova Scotia Community College is committed to working individually and collectively with its employees to achieve our mission – Building Nova Scotia’s Economy and Quality of Life through Education and Innovation. By building on employee strengths and promoting employee growth we will achieve our vision of transforming Nova Scotia one learner at a time.
NSCC is committed to its values of diversity and inclusion. We provide an environment that welcomes and embraces individuals from diverse communities. We take every opportunity to become more inclusive. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all diverse communities including but not limited to aboriginal persons, racially visible persons, people with disabilities, and women in non-traditional roles. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
The Opportunity: As part of the School of Trades and Technology faculty team, you will develop and deliver curriculum in engineering-related subjects in support of the Nautical Institute’s Engineering Certification, Entry-Level and Simulation training programs. You will assess learning, provide consultation, assist in the development and preparation of related course materials and provide academic and career advisement. Relevant safety awareness training related to your trade as outlined in the program curriculum will also be included. You will liaise with business, industry and the Nova Scotia Department of Education, and represent the College when required. You will also maintain currency in industry practices. You will provide leadership to ensure health and safety practices and procedures for all shops and labs are followed to ensure a high level of safety awareness throughout the entire program that meets or exceeds industry standards.
• Required to hold a Canadian STCW Certificate of Competency at a Second Engineer/Chief Engineer level or to hold a non-Canadian STCW Certificate of Competency at a Chief Engineer level.
• Advanced Diploma in Marine Engineering, Bachelor of Engineering in Marine, or Naval Architecture will be preferred.
• You have a minimum of five years relevant occupational experience, or the recognized equivalencies.
• Teaching experience is an asset.
• You possess a thorough understanding of the theoretical and practical aspects of:
o Marine Engineering, Ship Construction, Naval Architecture, Marine Electrical Technology, Marine Engineering Knowledge, as well as basic engineering subjects.
o Modern Marine Engineering Practices as they pertain to the International Marine Environmental Pollution Prevention Regulations
o Canada Shipping Acts and Regulations
o Marine Engineering Education and Training
• You have safety training including: WHMIS and OH&S.
• You have demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in computer systems and software packages, internet and e-mail technology.
• You are innovative, committed to life-long learning and demonstrate a commitment to community involvement.
• You are familiar with the concepts of portfolio education.
• Your desire and enthusiasm to teach students with diverse backgrounds and knowledge, along with your superb presentation, interpersonal and team building skills, make you an ideal candidate.
• As a creative self-starter, you have been recognized for your high energy and your commitment to excellence.
Application deadline is midnight, September 24, 2015
NSCC’s Community College Education Diploma Program (CCEDP) is a two-year diploma that provides a foundation in adult education principles. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Faculty and Professional Support employees of the College must successfully complete CCEDP within their probationary period. Term full-time Faculty who are employed for twelve or more months are also required to participate in CCEDP.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner.
Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide recent, relevant references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
To apply for College jobs, simply click on the Apply Now Online button. To serve you better, NSCC has implemented a new, user-friendly on-line application in partnership with Career Beacon. First time users will complete a basic registration and receive a username and password via email (NOTE: email may appear in "Junk Mail" folder depending upon your mail management configuration). You will then have the option of uploading your existing resume(s) and cover letter(s) in seconds or creating them on-the-spot in the "editor". For more information on the College, please visit our website at www.nscc.ca.