Faculty, Business Program – Restaurant Management
Nova Scotia Community College (NSCC) - Waterfront Campus
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
School of Business
Term Full-Time Position: Commencing approximately October 5, 2015 and ending approximately April 29, 2016
Salary range: $57,509 to $77,931 annually
Application deadline is midnight, September 24, 2015
Competition No. 2015-327
What you’ll be doing…
At Nova Scotia Community College we are committed to continuing our work in becoming a learning-centered college. We recognize that learning is a partnership, and strive to provide the most learning-centered experience possible. It is our belief that our innovative and collaborative approach to learning empowers us all, and creates lifelong learners. You will instruct and facilitate first and second year students in the areas of dining room service. You will be required to manage the evening operations of the Akerley campus restaurant ‘Fresh 21’. You will also be required to deliver related subjects in the area of business to hospitality students.
What we’re looking for…
A collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in their role and who strives for excellence every day. Committed to life-long learning, occupational currency and a belief in NSCC’s mission, they bring a learning-centered perspective to everything they do. They think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. They flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within their role and the College. Is this you?
• Possess a relevant tourism degree with appropriate industry credentials and accreditations for the position. Post-graduate degrees in business or other subjects related to this position will be valued.
• Have a minimum of 5 years’ relevant industry experience and knowledge related to working with a dynamic team in the restaurant industry, enabling them to provide learning experiences that mirror current practices in their fields. Experience working in a fine dining restaurant would be preferred.
Minimum skills and ability:
• Demonstrate excellence in, and passion for, student learning, teaching, and helping others to succeed.
• Use innovative and active approaches to teaching, with technology as a tool to assist in learning.
• Courses may be delivered via classroom and/or online. Experience with online learning systems and alternate delivery formats would be an asset;
• Demonstrate a commitment to lifelong learning and to personal and professional growth;
• Demonstrate a commitment to the community college philosophy and to the growth and improvement of NSCC;
• Have actively participated in community development and initiatives;
• Have knowledge of the concepts of Portfolio Education.
As a condition of employment, Faculty and Professional Support employees at NSCC must complete NSCC’s Community College Education Diploma Program (CCEDP). CCEDP is a two-year diploma that provides a foundation in adult education principles. CCEDP is a significant investment of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Faculty and Professional Support employees of the College must successfully complete CCEDP within their probationary period. Term full-time Faculty who are employed for twelve or more months are also required to participate in CCEDP.
What you’ll experience at NSCC…
You’ll change lives. You’ll join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia’s economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you’ll be part of that change.
You’ll find a place to grow. With a lot of opportunity for professional development and collaborative projects, you’ll continue to grow and learn throughout your career.
You’ll find a place to thrive. Doing meaningful and challenging work in a publically accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You’ll have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You’ll celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. Our college welcomes diversity in both its student body and its employees, and we take every opportunity to become more inclusive. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all diverse communities including but not limited to aboriginal persons, racially visible persons, people with disabilities and women in non-traditional roles. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner.
Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, relevant references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
To apply for College jobs, simply click on the Apply Now Online button. To serve you better, NSCC has a user-friendly on-line application process in partnership with Career Beacon. First time users will complete a basic registration and receive a username and password via email (NOTE: email may appear in "Junk Mail" folder depending upon your mail management configuration). You will then have the option of uploading your existing resume(s) and cover letter(s) in seconds or creating them on-the-spot in the "editor". For more information about working at the College, please visit us at http://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/jobs_at_nscc/